Council tax benefit is changing from 1st April 2013

Find out more about the changes here

Council tax benefit

Council tax benefit helps people on low incomes pay their council tax.

You may get council tax benefit if you pay council tax and your income and capital (savings and investments) are below a certain level. You may apply whether you rent or own your home, or live rent-free. You could qualify if you are out of work, or in work and earning a wage.

If you live with someone (other than your partner) who is on a low income, you may be entitled to a second adult rebate.

Take a look at our frequently asked questions about council tax benefit before you apply. We also have a range of leaflets and guides that you can download.

More information on council tax benefit can be found on the directgov website

How to apply

If you think you may be entitled to council tax benefit, you need to complete and return a Benefits Application Form (PDF File, 121kb).   You can also pick up a form from any of our local offices. Alternatively, call 01636 650000 or e-mail

If you are elderly or have mobility problems we can arrange to visit you in your own home.  Please contact us on 01636 650000 to arrange a visit.

Benefits calculator

Find out what you may be entitled to with our web benefits calculator.

Severe cold weather payments

If you're on a low income, a cold weather payment may be available to help you for each week of very cold weather in your area.

Find out more at the website

Debt advice and financial Support

A number of local and national advice services may also be able to help with financial issues.

Contact Us

For further information and a full list of electronic forms:


For customer comments:

01636 650000

Housing Benefits
Newark and Sherwood District Council
Kelham Hall
NG23 5QX

Online Forms


  • 01636 650000

    Mon - Thurs 8:45am - 5:15pm
    Friday 8:45am - 4:45pm

    Comments and Suggestions

  • Get in touch:

    Newark and Sherwood District Council
    Kelham Hall
    NG23 5QX