Good food hygiene at home
Key messages this Christmas
- When Christmas food shopping, take sufficient bags with you so that you can separate out raw and ready-to-eat foods to avoid cross-contamination.
- Check the guidance on your turkey to ensure you have enough time to fully defrost it – it could take as much as 4 days.
- Don’t wash raw turkey; it just splashes germs onto your hands, clothes, utensils and worktops.
- To work out the cooking time for your bird, check the instructions on the packaging. Check that: the meat is steaming hot throughout; there is no pink meat visible when you cut into the thickest part and meat juices run clear.
- You can use previously cooked and frozen turkey to make a new meal, such as a turkey curry. This new meal can be frozen, but make sure you only reheat it once.
Booking a Christmas meal?
Always remember to look out for the Food Hygiene Rating Certificates when you're eating out.