Bridge Ward covers both sides of Lincoln Road, including Winthorpe Road, Middleton Road, Yorke Drive, Derwent Way, North Gate and Brunel Drive.
The study sought to identify the views of the community on what is good about the area and what could be improved, to establish where investment in homes, jobs, shops, services and facilities are required.
Broadway Malyan identified the following information;
Challenges and consultation findings
- Deprivation at Yorke Drive is a particular issue (top 10% nationally)
- Concerns about crime and anti-social behaviour (resident priority)
- More projects and activities required for local and young people (resident priority)
- Connections between residential areas to leisure areas are poor
- Recreational areas are of poor quality
- Infrequent bus services
- Parking and access issues at the Brunel Drive Business Park (business priority)
- Improving Yorke Drive estate (resident priority)
- Support for a Community Hub
- Enhancing access to jobs and training for local people
- Improvements to open space
- Bridge Ward contains Newark’s major employment area
- There is a need and market demand for new homes in Bridge Ward
- The Council owns land and opportunities exist to deliver homes and generate capital receipts
- Bridge Ward has large areas of natural and semi natural open space
- An active community, with a number of well attended local clubs
In response to the challenges and opportunities identified, a Bridge Ward Masterplan has been created that suggests a number of ways many of the issues can be addressed. These suggestions, which are known as proposals, are split between five themes. These themes are;
- Delivering Housing Growth and the Renewing the Built Environment – New and Improved homes for Bridge Ward.
- Building Prosperity.
- Sustainable Community.
- Green Space.
- Transport and Accessibility.
The Study proposes a series of key projects for implementation in order to meet the objectives, which are:
a) Transformational Projects
- The growth and regeneration of Yorke Drive; delivering new homes on Lincoln Road playing fields
- Enhancing Lincoln Road playing fields
- Community hub and activities for young people
b) Wider Projects
- Training and employment strategy
- Brunel Business Park Travel Plan and creation of new Business Forum to lead
- Green infrastructure