- Find Nearest
Kelham Hall was originally the home of the Manners-Sutton family (a family connected to the Dukes of Rutland and Belvoir Castle) of Averham. The hall has been destroyed by fire and rebuilt several times over the past hundreds of years.
The present hall was designed and rebuilt by the architect Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878, pictured), famous for the Albert Memorial and the Grand Midland Hotel in London, which now provides the frontage for St Pancras International Station and which bears a striking resemblance in design to Kelham Hall.
Sir George was the most prolific architect of his age, and possibly of all time, and also the most unsung. His works spanned the empire, from New Zealand to Newfoundland. In England alone, he designed 800 buildings and oversaw hundreds more restorations.
He produced churches, schools, hospitals, workhouses, asylums and vicarages galore. He has 607 structures listed as historic (including Kelham Hall which is Grade Two listed by English Heritage) more than any other architect (next is Lutyens, with 402). Scott restored 18 of the 26 English medieval cathedrals. From his office his grandson, Giles, designed Liverpool Cathedral, Battersea power station, red phone boxes and what is now Tate Modern.
The hall was sold to the Society of the Sacred Mission in 1902 and housed the Monastic Order for the next 70 years and was run as a theological college. During the 1920’s the Great Chapel was constructed (now known as the Dome) and is almost square with a great central dome (62 feet across and 68 feet high).
The main accommodation building at the front of the hall was completed in 1939 to house the monks and the theological students. The college closed in 1972 due to declining numbers of enrolments.
Since 1974 the hall has been the headquarters of Newark and Sherwood District Council.
Visit the Kelham Hall and Country Park website for information on public tours of Kelham Hall, as well as events, weddings and dining.
Kelham Hall, situated in 42 acres of landscaped gardens is the perfect family day out this summer. Our bar / restaurant offers a large variety of hot and cold food as well as an extensive list of teas, coffees and alcoholic / non alcoholic beverages.
Our recently refurbished outdoor tennis courts are now available for use at a cost of £5 an hour.
Fishing pegs are available to hire along our stretch of the River Trent and can be hired on flexible terms both day and night. The cost for fishing is £10 per peg. However we will be offering membership to the Kelham fishing club at a cost of £25 which will entitle members to hire the fishing pegs at £5 and also allow discounts on food served in the café.
Newark and Sherwood District Council