Submitting an application

There are two ways to submit your application and pay your fees to Newark and Sherwood District Council:

1. Apply online

Applying online saves the expense and hassle of traditional paper applications. Most planning application forms are available online via the national planning portal.

They can be completed and submitted online together with the necessary documentation and the correct fee. The planning portal also provides up to date information on all planning fees.

2. Paper forms

Most planning application forms can be downloaded via the Planning Portal website and then posted back to us with the necessary documentation and payments. Popular planning forms in PDF format include:

  • Notification of a Proposed Change of Use to Dwelling(s) Form
  • Notification of a Proposed Larger Home Extension Form
  • Householder application for planning permission for works or extension to a dwelling
    Form and Guidance
  • Application for planning permission
    Form and Guidance
  • Application for planning permission and listed building consent for alterations, extension or demolition of a listed building
    Form and Guidance
  • Application for consent to display an advertisement(s)
    Form and Guidance
  • Application for approval of details reserved by condition Town and Country Planning Act 1990 Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990
    Form and Guidance
  • Application for Hedgerow Removal Notice
    Form and Guidance
  • Application for tree works: works to trees subject to TPO or trees in a conservation area
    Form and Guidance
  • Application for a non-material amendment following a grant of planning permission
    Form and Guidance
  • Notice for non-material applications
  • Extending the time limits of existing permissions
    Form and Guidance
  • Application to vary or remove a planning condition
    Form and Guidance


Most applications need a planning fee. The decision to charge for planning applications has been made by Parliament and therefore the scale of fees is the same throughout England and Wales.

There are some exemptions to fees such as:

  • When the work is to provide facilities for someone who is registered disabled
  • When the application is for Listed Building or Conservation Area Consent
  • When you had an application refused and are resubmitting for a similar proposal on the same site within 12 months
  • An application to vary one or more conditions on an approval made within 12 months
  • When you withdrew an application for a similar proposal on the same site within the last 12 months
  • When permitted development rights have been removed and the proposal would normally be permitted development
  • Where there is an Article 4 Direction removing permitted development rights for certain works

You can calculate the fee of your planning application using the fee calculator available at the planning portal or you can view details of the planning fees for England on the UK legislation website.

For further guidance and information regarding fees please see Department for Communities and Local Government website 

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

To allow the Council to decide if and how much CIL is liable, an information form is available below. This should be completed and submitted with your planning application. This includes application for householder development. 

CIL Information Form

Further information about CIL is available from the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)   page. 

How can I pay my planning fee?

To ensure your application is valid the fee should be paid at time of submission. If payment is not received we will not be able to proceed with your submission. If you are applying online, the Planning Portal will direct you to pay the fee before the application is forwarded to us.

If you prefer, you can pay by credit or debit card by contacting us on 01636 650000 or by submitting a cheque with a covering letter made payable to Newark and Sherwood District Council. Please quote the planning portal application reference at time of payment.  

If you are applying by post or delivering your application to us in person, you can pay using any of the above or by cash.

Validation Requirements

Consideration of planning applications can be delayed until the appropriate information has been received.

These requirements are available on our validation checklists which include guidance on plans and supporting information.

Specialist matters

When it is necessary to show joinery detail, especially in the case of listed buildings, plans should be to a scale of 1:5, 1:10 or 1:20.

Where archaeological sites are involved, full details of below groundwork (including services, foundations and their method of excavation) should be shown.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) may be required to be paid if planning permission is granted for your proposal. Determining whether a Development may be CIL Liable (PDF File, 462kb)   must be completed and submitted with your planning application. 

Please visit our Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) page for more information.

How we can help you with your application

In order to make sure you have all the relevant information with your application, we would strongly advise that you discuss your proposal with us prior to submitting the application.

Pre-application discussions will also help to identify and resolve any issues which may come up during the applications and consequently mean a decision can be secured more quickly.

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Kelham Hall
NG23 5QX

01636 650000


Follow on Twitter  Join in on Facebook

  • 01636 650000

    Mon - Thurs 8:45am - 5:15pm
    Friday 8:45am - 4:45pm

    Comments and Suggestions

  • Get in touch:

    Newark and Sherwood District Council
    Kelham Hall
    NG23 5QX