Universal Credit is replacing several benefits for people who are of working age, on a low income and who are not working. Certain benefit claimants will need to claim Universal Credit via the local job centre.
The following benefits are due to be replaced by Universal Credit and will be included within any award:
- Income support
- Income related jobseeker's allowance
- Income related employment support allowance
- Housing benefit
- Working tax credit
- Child tax credit
You can check whether you would qualify by using this calculator.
You will need the following when making an online application:
- National insurance number
- Details of any capital held in any bank, building society or Post Office accounts
- Your tenancy agreement (where applicable)
- Details of other income
- Details of other benefits you may receive
- Details of your household make up maybe required (e.g. partners' income)
- Your email address and telephone number
Please be aware any delay in applying to the Department of Work and Pensions for Universal Credit can only be backdated in exceptional circumstances.
For further information visit the Universal Credit website.
Council tax support will still be provided by Newark and Sherwood District Council and a claim form will be needed to claim.