Council tax support

Council tax support helps people on low incomes pay their council tax.

You may get council tax support if you pay council tax and your income and capital (savings and investments) are below a certain level. You may apply whether you rent or own your home, or live rent-free. You could qualify if you are out of work, or in work and earning a wage.

If you live with someone (other than your partner) who is on a low income, you may be entitled to a second adult rebate.

More information on council tax support can be found on the GOV.UK website

How to apply

If you think you may be entitled to council tax support, you need to complete and return a Benefits Application Form (PDF File, 429kb). You can also pick up a form from any of our local offices. Alternatively, call 01636 650000 or e-mail

If you are elderly or have mobility problems we can arrange to visit you in your own home.  Please contact us on 01636 650000 to arrange a visit.

Benefits calculator

Find out what you may be entitled to with our web benefits calculator.

Severe cold weather payments

If you're on a low income, a cold weather payment may be available to help you for each week of very cold weather in your area.

Find out more at the GOV.UK website

Debt advice and financial Support

A number of local and national advice services may also be able to help with financial issues.

The National Fraud Initiative

This is an exercise that matches electronic data within and between public and private sector bodies to prevent and detect fraud.

Contact Us

Housing Benefits
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY


01636 650000

Follow us on Twitter‌ Like us on Facebook Follow us on Pinterest‌ Follow us on Instagram

Online Forms


  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet