Councillor allowances

Payments made to councillors at Newark and Sherwood District Council

The council is run by 39 councillors who are elected by the local community.

Councillors are responsible for making decisions on behalf of the local community about local services and budgets, including the level of the council tax set by the district council.

Each councillor represents an area within the district – known as a ward - and serves for a period of four years.

The work of a councillor includes helping local people, supporting local organisations, campaigning on local issues, and developing links with all parts of the community.

Councillors are not paid a salary, but they are entitled to allowances and expenses to cover some of the costs of carrying out their public duties.

All councillors abide by a code of conduct, part of which requires them to declare any financial interests, gifts or hospitality that could influence any decisions they make.

Councillors must enter on a public register all their financial and other outside interests. They must also declare their interest in any item to be debated in council or committee. The rules on what councillors may claim in expenses and allowances are set by an independent panel.

All councils publish their members' allowance scheme setting out the allowances members are entitled to receive and what expenses they are able to claim for. Most allow councillors to claim for some travel, subsistence, meals and accommodation when away from home for council approved duties. There are strict rules about this. The total amount of allowances claimed by each councillor is published here each year.

What allowances can be claimed?

Basic allowance

All members of an authority are entitled to a basic allowance.

Special Responsibility Allowances

Special responsibility allowances recognise that some members, usually those who chair council committees, will spend more time on council work.

Dependents' carer's allowance

This allowance assists members by contributing towards the cost of employing another person to undertake their caring / child care responsibilities while they attend meetings.

Travel and Subsistence Allowances

The travel and subsistence allowance for members is the same as the casual rate scheme for officers.

Contact us

Democratic Services
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY


01636 650000

Follow us on Twitter‌  Like us on Facebook‌  Follow us on Pinterest‌ Follow us on Instagram

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet