The PM has announced a national lockdown, from midnight on the 5th January, as part of the ongoing response to COVID-19. You must stay at home. For the full guidance on the national lockdown, please visit the government website.


What are the latest restrictions?

The latest restrictions can be found here.

Where do the restrictions cover?

They cover the whole of England.

When can I leave my house?

You must not leave or be outside of your home except for specific purposes. View the full list here.

Can I meet with someone outside of my household?

It is against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are part of your household or support bubble. You can continue to exercise with one other person not from your household or support bubble but you must stay 2m apart.

I live on my own and I am self-isolating, who do I call for help?

In the first instance, ask a friend, family, neighbour or carer for support as long as this can be done safely within the government guidance. 

Secondly, you can ask an NHS volunteer responder (download the Goodsam app or call 0808 196 3646 between 8am and 8pm, 7 days a week). 

Thirdly, there are a huge number of community groups available to offer help with a number of different things, from dog walking to supermarket shopping. A full list of these groups can be found on the Nottinghamshire Coronavirus Community Support Hub.

Finally, if you are struggling to find support using these options, then please email the hub at or call 0300 500 8080.

Which businesses must close?

To reduce social contact, the Government has ordered certain businesses and venues to close. Detailed information on closures is available here.

What businesses can remain open?

A list of businesses that can remain open can be found here.

What are the changes for the hospitality venues and takeaways?

Hospitality venues like restaurants, bars and pubs must close, but can still provide takeaway and delivery services. However, takeaway of alcohol will not be allowed.  Further information is available here.

Can accommodation venues remain open?

Holiday accommodation must close.  Further details are available here.

What happens about weddings, civil partnerships and funerals?

Full information on these is available here.

Can I continue to go to work?

To help contain the virus, everyone who can work effectively from home must do so.  Further details are available here.

Are schools closed?

Colleges, primary (reception onwards) and secondary schools will close except for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers. Full details can be found here.

Who is a critical worker?

Full information on critical workers is available here.

Is childcare open?

Early Years settings (including nurseries and childminders) remain open.

Vulnerable children and children of critical workers can continue to use registered childcare, childminders and other childcare activities (including wraparound care).

Parents are able to form a childcare bubble with one other household for the purposes of informal childcare, where the child is under 14.

Nannies will be able to continue to provide services, including in the home. For more information, click here.

Are Universities closed?

Those students who are undertaking training and study for the following courses should return to face to face learning as planned and be tested twice, upon arrival or self-isolate for ten days:

  • Medicine & dentistry
  • Subjects allied to medicine/health
  • Veterinary science
  • Education (initial teacher training)
  • Social work
  • Courses which require Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) assessments and or mandatory activity which is scheduled for January and which cannot be rescheduled (your university will notify you if this applies to you).

Students who do not study these courses should remain where they are wherever possible, and start their term online, as facilitated by their university until at least Mid-February. For more details, please click here.

Who is more at risk from Coronavirus?

If you are over 60 or clinically vulnerable, you could be at a higher risk of severe illness from Coronavirus.  To find out more, click here.

What is a childcare bubble?

Full information on childcare bubbles is available here.

Can grandparents from the same household (i.e. grandma and grandad) both provide childcare?

Yes. Grandparents who live in the same household, i.e. grandma and grandad, can link with one other household, to form a childcare bubble, so that the parents of the children can work.

I have two sets of grandparents who live in separate households looking after my children. Is this allowed?

No. You can only link with one other household at any time, so the parents of the children can work.

I am a grandparent, how many of my grandchildren can I look after?

One set from one household, so the parents can work.

I don't live with my partner, can I still go to their house?

If you and your partner don't live together, you can form a support bubble, provided one of you lives alone. If you don't meet the criteria to form a bubble, you cannot meet indoors.

What is a support bubble?

A support bubble is a close support network between a household with only one adult in the home (known as a single-adult household) and one other household of any size. Full details can be found here.

What other measures are in place regarding travel?

You can only travel within the UK or internationally where you first have a legally permitted reason to leave home. For more information, please click here.

Can I go to a care home?

Visits to care homes can take place with arrangements such as substantial screens, visiting pods, or behind windows. Close-contact indoor visits are not allowed. More information in available here.

Will the recycling centre be open?

Yes, all 12 of household waste and recycling centres in Nottinghamshire will remain open during the lockdown. However, Nottinghamshire County Council are encouraging residents to follow the Government’s ‘Stay at Home’ advice and only visit if it is essential. Check locations and opening times here.

What are the changes in relation to sports and exercising?
Individual exercise is permitted – alone, with one other person, or within your household or bubble.  Further information is available here.

Can I travel to play sport outside of the areas with restrictions? 

You can only leave your home to exercise, and not for the purpose of recreation or leisure (e.g. a picnic or a social meeting). This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.

Can I go to the gym, gym class, leisure centre or a swimming pool?

No. All leisure venues, including gyms and swimming pools must close as part of the national restrictions.

Can I have someone in my house (or go into someone's house) to do repairs or other work?

Those who need to visit other people’s homes for their work can continue to do so.  Full guidance is available here

Can I visit a friend or relative in hospital or accompany them to an appointment?

Please check with the hospital before visiting.

Can I still go on holiday?

You cannot leave home for holidays or stays overnight away from your main home unless permitted by law. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed. This includes staying in a second home or caravan, if you own one, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with.  Further information is available here.

What about public transport and car sharing?

Full details are available here.

Can I move home?


How to do I book a test and what happens at a test?

If you have symptoms, you must self-isolate immediately and book a test.  You can book on, and find further information about tests at  You can also call 119 to book a test.  You must self-isolate until you get your results and at that point will be advised what to do next.

Is there somewhere local I can get a test from?

There is a Local Testing Site located at the Castle House car park in Newark. This site is appointment only and you will still need to book a test via the government website or by calling 119. More information is available here.

I have symptoms, does the rest of my household need to book a test? 

If someone in your household starts to have symptoms, then that person must get tested and the rest of the household should self-isolate with them whilst they wait for the results. If you or other members of the household don't have symptoms, then you should not get a test - only people with symptoms should get tested.

When will I receive a vaccine?

Those most at risk from coronavirus are being offered the vaccine first. When it is your turn you will receive an invitation via letter from the NHS to come forward. This letter will include all the information you will need to book your appointments. Please do not contact the NHS to get an appointment until you receive this letter. For more information, please click here.

What do I do if I see someone breaking the rules?

If you see an individual is breaching restrictions, you can report it to Nottinghamshire Police by calling 101. In an emergency call 999.

What financial support is available?

Please see our separate pages for information on financial support that is available for both businesses and residents.

Can you advise when the business grant supports schemes will be available?

Following the government’s announcement on 4 January 2021, we are currently working through the information in order to swiftly begin the process of paying business grants to those eligible businesses which are restricted from opening as normal.  Please continue to check our website and/or social media to stay updated on this.

 When does the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme end?

This scheme has been extended until 30 April 2021.  For more information, please click here.

What will happen when national lockdown restrictions are over?

Unfortunately, we don’t yet know.

What are the latest number of cases in our area?

The latest data is available at



Contact us

Newark and Sherwood
District Council

Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY

01636 650 000


Follow us on Twitter‌  Like us on Facebook‌  Follow us on Pinterest‌ Follow us on Instagram

County Council 
Community Response Hub

0300 500 8080

Open 8am to 6pm 
Monday to Friday

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet