Please be aware that we are not working with 'Energy Saving Grants' If you receive a letter implying that we are please contact our customer services on 01636 650000
The Energy and Home support team aims to help residents of Newark and Sherwood District to live in warm comfortable homes, ensuring that those most in need achieve affordable warmth and a better quality of life.
We do this by:
- Giving energy advice
- Advising of offers and grants available from Government schemes
- Working with the other local councils in an Energy Partnership (LAEP)
- Seeking funding opportunities to support residents with the cost of installing energy efficiency measures
Keep up to date with the latest energy news.
Are you ready for winter?
As the nights get colder and darker, the chances of severe weather increase. Since 1990, gas and electricity network companies have invested over £80bn to make the UK’s gas and electricity supply more reliable than ever before. But storms, floods and other extreme weather can still cause damage and disruption.
That’s why the UK’s gas and electricity network companies have come together to launch the Be Winter Ready campaign. The campaign aims to help the public better-prepare for power cuts and gas emergencies that may result from bad winter weather.
To Be Winter Ready, you should:
- Know your free emergency numbers - in a power cut dial 105 or, for a gas emergency, dial 0800 111999
- Prepare your home – keep a torch handy and get your appliances serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Vulnerable households can get extra support by signing up to the Priority Services Register. Contact your gas or electricity network to find out more. Visit www.energynetworks.org to find out who your network operator is.
- Keep your eyes open – keep an eye on the weather forecast and, if you have a power cut or a gas emergency, check on your neighbours.
Warm homes on prescription
Newark and Sherwood District Council has grant funding available to help keep you warm and well this winter.
Can you answer 'yes' to the following questions?:
- Do you live within the Newark and Sherwood District?
- Do you live in your own home, or privately rent?
- Do you suffer from a long term health condition made worse by the cold?
- Are you living on a low income with little savings?
- Is your heating old or inadequate?
More information is available on Heating your home
If you’ve never switched energy supplier or haven’t switched recently, you may be missing out on better tariffs and the opportunity to fix your energy prices.
We are working with Nottingham Energy Partnership to bring you Nottinghamshire Switch, Save & Smile. The collective energy switching scheme takes the hassle out of finding you the best deal for your energy bills. You could save an average of £243 and the scheme is FREE to sign up with no obligation.
The more people that sign up prior to the auction date on 10 October, the better the deal is likely to be, so use people power to demand lower prices for gas and electricity. Please visit the Nottinghamshire Switch, Save & Smile website for more information and to register your details. Please call 0115 784 6696 to find your nearest registration session.
If you are unsure what would be the best option for you personally, or you are having trouble with your energy supplier, you can contact Sherwood and Newark Citizens Advice for help. Their energy project provides independent and impartial advice on energy matters including switching, payment methods, supplier complaints and dealing with energy debt. Call 01623 861769 to request an appointment. For information online go to the Citizens Advice website.
Be an energy shopper
The goenergyshopping website, provides impartial guidance for consumers on understanding bills and annual statements, reading meters, how to be more energy efficient, and how to compare energy tariffs to calculate how much could be saved by switching suppliers.
Who to call in a power cut?
105 is the new number to call if you have a power cut.
It's free of charge and will put you through to your local network operator who can give you help and advice.
Get the lowdown...www.powercut105.com/
How much do your gadgets cost to run?
It might be worthwhile checking out how much your new electrical item is going to cost to run.
Solid Wall Insulation
The Government backed ECO incentive is available again and you could receive up to £1,500 towards the cost of the work applying a Solid Wall Insulation system.
To find out more go to Westville Group or telephone Westville Insulation Company on 01623 744451.
Partnership with Severn Trent Water
Would a water meter save you money?
Letters are being sent to properties in the district which could potentially save money by moving to a water meter.
42 people have signed up as of 15 Dec and will be saving money next year on their water payments.
Are you paying more than you need to?
It is now easier than ever to choose the best energy deal. Find out how at Sherwood and Newark Citizens Advice.
For more information on how to save money on your energy bills call 01623 861 769 to request an energy bills appointment.
This service offers free independent, confidential and impartial advice.