Flood - prevention

There are three simple steps you can take to be better prepared for flooding:

1) Check your flood risk by entering your postcode on www.gov.uk/flood to find out if your home or business is at risk of flooding.

2) Sign up to the Free Flood Warning Service.

3) Know what to do when flooding happens The best way to protect yourself is to know what to do in advance and know how to act when you receive a flood warning.

Our Being prepared for Flooding leaflet provides a list of agencies, contacts and their responsibilities, during flash and fluvial (river) flooding. This includes the responsibilities of Severn Trent, the Environment Agency,Trent Valley Internal Drainage Board, local councils and the emergency services.

Communities and individuals

If you live in an area that is at risk of flooding, you should ensure that you and your family are prepared to protect your property. Ultimately it is your responsibility.

The Environment Agency has a website dedicated to preparing for and dealing with flooding. The agency offers advice on how to make your home flood resistant, preparations for businesses and advice for older people.

Flood protection products

If your property is at risk from flooding you might consider the many flood protection products on the market or, at least, store a supply of sandbags. 

The National Flood Forum has compiled a directory of flood protection products and services. 

(Newark and Sherwood District Council cannot and does not endorse any of the products advertised.)

Households should also ensure they have adequate buildings and contents insurance.


If you own land or property along a river or watercourse you have rights and responsibilities, including maintaining the free flow of water. There should be no obstruction, pollution or diversions affecting the water. Fly tipping can cause obstructions to the free flow of water and can affect many others living nearby. If you are aware of any fly tipping in any watercourse within the district then please contact the district council.

You can also report flytipping online. 


The Environment Agency gives practical advice on what to do to stay safe before, during and after a flood on their website.

If you live in a flood risk area, please familiarise yourself and your family with preparations for evacuating your home.

The district council cannot support families who remain in flooded properties.

Make a flood kit - Keep it safe and easy to reach

What to take with you in the event of evacuating your home - Medication, baby needs, overnight bag, pets and pet food, money, mobile phone, house key, important documents

What to take with you if you need to evacuate your home due to flooding

  • Important personal documents
  • Torch
  • Medication and first aid kit
  • Baby essentials
  • Pet essentials
  • Mobile phone and important phone numbers
  • Overnight bag including clothes
  • Wallet or purse
  • House Key
  • Wellington boots
  • Waterproof clothing

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet