Take action and stay safe

  • ensure family and pets are safe and away from flood water
  • act on your personal flood plan
  • gather essentials and move valuable items above expected water levels
  • check on vulnerable neighbours or relatives
  • follow any instructions given by the emergency services. You may be asked to evacuate your property at short notice, so ensure you have an emergency kit of essential items ready
  • prepare your property with any flood protection measures and turn off water, gas and electricity before water enters your property
  • ensure important documents are safe, including your home insurance details
  • avoid driving or walking through flood water, there may be hidden dangers. Read our advice to motorists and pedestrians
  • move vehicles to higher ground
  • flood water is likely to be contaminated, wash your hands and follow good hygiene principles
  • contact insurers if your home and possessions have been damaged and for rented properties, contact the property owner. Find out what to expect from your insurer
  • information about getting and using sandbags

For further information see the Environment Agency leaflet: what to do before, during and after a flood.

Stay informed

Environment Agency Floodline – 0345 988 1188

The Floodline provides information on the flood warnings issued for your area and other flood advice.

Flood Warnings Direct

  • ensure you are registered to the Environment Agency flood warning service to receive notification of flooding in your area
  • know what the different levels of flood warnings mean and what action you need to take
  • Flood warnings

Listen to local media

  • the latest flood / weather forecasts and school closure information will be provided via local radio and TV

Social media

During a flood we keep our website and council social media accounts updated with the latest news and advice.

Follow us on Twitter‌  Like us on Facebook‌   

Report problems

Call the Environment Agency Floodline on 0345 988 1188 (24-hour service)

How to report problems 

Sewers should be reported to your water company. Severn Trent on 0800 783 4444, Anglian Water on 03457 145 145.

Roads and blocked highway drains/gullies can be reported online to Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80. Report road problems online.

Flooding to properties can be reported to our Customer Service team on 01636 650000 or to Nottinghamshire County Council on 0300 500 80 80.

Pumping flood water from properties. Contact Nottinghamshire County Council or the Environment Agency on 0345 988 1188. Their pumps are used for helping to alleviate flooding and protect infrastructure where many properties will benefit. Individual homes should contact your home insurer to request assistance. 

Pumps can usually be hired form local tool hire companies, although care should be taken on where the water will be pumped out to as potentially the situation could be worsened. The Fire Service may use their high volume pumps to help your community, but it is unlikely they will assist in the pumping out of individual properties.

Can we help?

Take a look at the flooding factsheet for further advice and information on how the County Council and other organisations can help.

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet