The code of conduct


From 1 July 2012, all standards matters is the the responsibility of local authorities.

The code of conduct reflects the seven 'Nolan Principles' for holders of public office. These arrangements detail the procedures for dealing with complaints, including complaints in relation to town and parish councillors. 

If you want to make a complaint about a town, parish or district councillor, you can use the complaint form. 

The remit of the Policy and Finance Committee includes the code of conduct and is currently responsible for:

  1. Ensuring councillors are trained to carry out their duties effectively
  2. Advising on the councillors' code of conduct
  3. Dealing with the local filtering of complaints and dispensation requests (where these are not dealt with by the Monitoring  Officer under delegated powers)
  4. Conducting of local hearings and determination of sanctions should a breach of the code of conduct be found


The Policy and Finance Committee can grant dispensations for district councillors allowing them to speak and vote at a meeting when they have a disclosable pecuniary interest. In certain circumstances the power to grant a dispensation is delegated to the Monitoring Officer. Under the new regime town/parish councillors should seek dispensation from their town/parish council.

Further information on making 05 MAY 2018 - Request for Dispensation (PDF File, 285kb).

Please note that town/parish councillors will need to refer to their town/parish clerk for further information on how to make a dispensation request to their town/parish council.

Independent Person

  • Sarah Britton
  • Paul Cox 

Independent Persons assist us in assessing complaints of alleged misconduct by elected councillors within the district, town and parish councils in Newark and Sherwood.

The views of the Independent Persons will also be sought and taken into account before a decision is made on a complaint which has been investigated. They may also be consulted on other standards matters, including by the elected councillor who is subject of an allegation.

Independent Persons may also be required to form an independent panel to offer advice, views or recommendations on any proposal for the dismissal of a district council officer.

Contact us

Democratic Services
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY


01636 650000

Follow us on Twitter‌  Like us on Facebook‌  Follow us on Pinterest‌ Follow us on Instagram

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet