Local Testing Site Opens In Newark
A walk-through testing site for COVID-19 has already begun operating at Castle House car park in Newark today.
The site is by appointment only and will be open seven days a week, 8am to 8pm.
Castle House car park was selected for a Local Testing Site (LTS) by local public health leaders because it is well known, easy to find and is a large, level space. It has also been used for the mobile testing unit programme during the past four months.
The LTS is run by the Department for Health and Social Care but tests at the site will be self-administered by those who request them. Parents will be asked to complete tests on their children if they cannot manage to do this on their own.
Leader of Newark and Sherwood District Council, Councillor David Lloyd, said: “We are doing everything we can to tackle the pandemic and we hope that with the opening of the Local Testing Site it will enable our residents to access coronavirus tests promptly and help reduce the spread of infection in the district.
“We must remind residents that if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, you must self-isolate immediately and book a test either online or by calling 119. We must all continue to play our part in these crucial winter months, to help protect each other, particularly our vulnerable residents and our NHS.”
To use the site, people should:
- Have at least one symptom of COVID-19 - a new, continuous cough, a high temperature or loss or change to their sense of smell or taste.
- Book a test first before going to the site by calling 119 or visiting gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test.
- Walk to the site and if driving, park up nearby and then walk to the site.
- Avoid taking public transport to get to the site or to return home.
- Do not visit any shops or other premises prior to their test and return home immediately afterwards.
- Wear a face mask.
- Adhere to social distancing.
- Take a form of identification, such as a driving licence, passport, NHS card or utility bill.
Newark and Sherwood District Council will be working with partners to ensure that the site is managed and signposted to help direct users. Residents and businesses around the car park have been informed about the likely local impact of the LTS.
Anyone with any issues regarding the site can contact the council on 01636 650 000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.