District hosting inaugural Festival of Cycling
A cycle race for juniors in Newark town centre will be the key highlight of the inaugural Festival of Cycling and curtain raiser to the OVO Energy Tour of Britain coming to Newark and Sherwood.
The Go-Ride will take place over the cobbles of the town’s Market Place and Middle Gate on the evening before some of the world’s top cyclists battle it out across the district on Wednesday, September 6.
The Go-Ride race, on September 5, is open to juniors up to the age of 16 and further details will become available from http://www.newarkcastlecc.co.uk/
The event, supported by Radio Newark, the Newark Advertiser and Active4Today, will include live music until 9.30pm, a craft market of local crafters and makers, food from local traders, street entertainment and a chance for children to make a Tour of Britain wind streamer or shaker.
The aim of the festival, which runs from Wednesday, August 23 until Sunday, September 10, is to support, excite and inspire locals who enjoy cycling as well as those who may never have ridden a bike in their lives.
Newark and Sherwood District Council has teamed up with Active4Today, British Cycling, Newark Castle Cycle Club, Sherwood Pines and the Velo Club Flintham along with other local partners to offer a wide range of activities when the Tour of Britain visits the district.
The intention is to widen the appeal of cycling to families and maybe help foster the next generation of tour riders.
Matt Snee, Active4Today club and coach development officer, said: “What better way to celebrate hosting the Tour of Britain coming to the district than to have our own Festival of Cycling. This event will promote cycling in all its various forms – from sport to recreation. Getting on your bike is great way to have fun and keep fit and the programme has been devised to ensure there is something for nearly everyone.”
The festival dates include:
Wednesday, August 23 (from 10am): The Vittoria Grand Tour Bus will be at Sherwood Pines, featuring a mountain bike and road ride. The public can visit the bus to appreciate how the riders live on tour and they can meet the driver who is also a Servizio Corse member. There will be Vittoria tyres and wheels on display and the public can see the products the professionals use as well as Vittoria the range. There will be a number of well-known local riders including multi-world champion Geoff Cooke who will be there to offer riding, training and nutritional advice. Experience 'behind the scenes' Servizio Corse cars, visit the Vittoria Grand Tours support bus and take part in a 'money can't buy' competition experience. There will be road and mountain bike rides during the day of varying lengths to attract riders of different abilities and ages. The road rides will be about one hour on quiet public roads and it is hoped that a SC car can accompany them giving a “feeling” of riding a tour stage. There will be other brands that are part of the TOB support team: Fenwicks which makes a complete range of bike cleaning and maintenance products. Staff will be present to advise on pre- and post-ride preparation and cleaning. HIGH5 energy products will be present with test samples and to give advice.
Thursday, August 31: Junior GoRide at the Dukeries Leisure Centre, Boughton, Ollerton for seven to 15 years. Have a go at Cycling with a qualified British Cycling Instructor. Please call 01623 862469 or visit www.active4today.co.uk to find out more details and book your place.
Saturday, September 2: The City of Nottingham GoTri. Experience an introduction to closed road Triathlon racing alongside the River Trent on Nottingham’s famous Victoria Embankment. Visit city-of-nottingham-triathlon for more details and to book your place in the event.
Sunday, September 3:
- Cycling Time Trial event hosted by Newark Castle Cycling Club. Come and watch this unique event and cheer on the competitors. Visit www.newarkcastlecc.co.uk for more details.
- Friendly outing with Velo Club Flintham: If you have enjoyed road cycling on your own, come and try cycling as part of a peloton – the perfect way to experience a club atmosphere.Visit Velo Club Flintham for more details.
- Ladies beginners Breeze Ride - details to be announced. Visit Breeze (Newark and Southwell) on facebook
- Social Ride with Newark Sustrans: Newark Sustrans Ranger volunteers will be leading social rides from Rumbles Cafe at Sconce and Devon Park from 10am. The rides will head out on quiet roads and cycle lanes to Newfield Dairy. A shorter ride returns back to Newark from there while a longer ride will continue for a while longer before returning to Newark. Nobody is left behind in this ride that is suitable for all ages and abilities. Please contact Pat Bray email@example.com
Monday, September 4: Tour of Britain spinning session at Newark Sports and Fitness Centre. Experience our qualified instructor coaching you round the same route as the professionals on your spin bike. Details to be confirmed. Please visit www.active4today.co.uk for more activities.
Tuesday, September 5: Beginners’ social mountain bike ride for women at Sherwood Pines. Visit the Sherwood Pines Cycling Club Facebook page for more details.
Wednesday, September 6: Tour of Britain Stage 4 from Mansfield to Newark. Visit Tour of Britain Latest News to keep up to date with the schedule and local information.
Thursday, 7 September: Time Trial with Newark Castle Cycling Club. Compete against your friends and see how quickly you can complete 10 miles on the open road. Starts at 6.30pm. Visit www.newarkcastlecc.co.uk for more details.
Saturday, September 9:
- Social Ride with Newark Riders and Newark Castle Cycling Club. If you have enjoyed road cycling on your own, come and try cycling as part of a peloton. Visit www.newarkcastlecc.co.uk for more details.
- Beginners’ Social mountain bike ride at Sherwood Pines. Visit the Sherwood Pines Cycling Club Facebook page for more details.
Sunday, September 10: Social mountain bike ride at Sherwood Pines. Visit the Sherwood Pines Cycling Club Facebook page for more details.
Help make the festival brilliant fun for everyone. If you would like to send in an idea for an event or offer some help towards the festival please get in touch. Email firstname.lastname@example.org