Self-Isolation Survival Kit
While the Theatre is closed there's no reason to miss out on your culture fix at home. On this page we'll be sharing our recommendations to keep you entertained through quarantine as well as extra content like a weekly theatre crossword.
We've created our very own Self-Isolation Soundtrack bursting with upbeat hits from the musicals which you can listen to for free here on Spotify.
Plus keep an eye on our Facebook page for more content including fun quizzes and Palace Memory Mornings every Thursday. Our neighbours at the National Civil War Centre have also got loads of content to keep both families and adults entertained and engaged, online here.
We've teamed up with the National Civil War Centre's Learning Team for a project to celebrate our centenary from home. We're calling all crafters to help remember some special times and get history all sewn up! You may not be able to visit the theatre, but you can help us to create our own little piece of history by getting involved in our community quilting project in 2020.
We are hoping for some squares which build up a picture of the front of the theatre, and others which illustrate performances you have seen and happy times you have spent there.
How you sew your 6 inch square is up to you! Applique, cross stitch, tapestry, embroidery, machine stitched – it’s your choice. Use materials you already have to hand and put your own personality into your stitching. Tell your friends, and let’s make this really huge!
Find instructions here: Patchwork Palace Instructions (PDF File, 685kb)
If you have any questions or would like a bit more guidance, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Theatre wreath decoration (PDF File, 82kb)
- Auditorium seats (PDF File, 106kb)
- Stained glass rose (PDF File, 73kb)
- Theatre decoration detail (PDF File, 90kb)
- Chandelier (PDF File, 130kb)
- Auditorium ceiling (PDF File, 104kb)
- Rose wall decoration (PDF File, 121kb)
- Stained glass rose and foyer wall decor (PDF File, 99kb)
- Emily Blagg (PDF File, 63kb)
- Palace centenary logo (PDF File, 77kb)
- Palace Theatre Weekly Crossword No. 1 (PDF File, 228kb)
Our team have scoured a few of the most popular streaming platforms to find some of the best theatrical content available to watch at home.
- Les Miserables
- Grease: Live!
- West Side Story
- Fiddler on the Roof
- Rock of Ages
- The Wizard of Oz
- Eric Idle’s What About Dick? (MATURE)
- Plus lots of comedy stand-up shows!
- Little Shop of Horrors
- The Phantom of the Opera
- Les Miserables
- Macbeth (2015)
- Grease: Live!
- Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away
- Jesus Christ Superstar
- A Star Is Born (1937)
- Stan & Ollie
- Kiss Me, Kate
- Tim Minchin: So Fing Rock & Tim Minchin and The Heritage Orchestra
- Oliver Twist (1948)
- Upstart Crow
- When Louis Met…: Keith Harris and Orville in Panto
- 2010 BBC Proms: Sondheim’s 80th Birthday
- 2017 BBC Proms: John Williams Film Prom
- CBeebies Puss In Boots
- CBeebies The Tempest
- CBeebies Proms
- Darcey’s Ballet Heroes
- Live at the Apollo
- The League of Gentlemen: Live Again!
- The Goes Wrong Show
Cultural Content Online
There’s plenty of content available to appreciate online and we’ve had a good look to find some of the best free cultural entertainment out there.
- Weekly read-throughs of Shakespeare plays from actor and director Robert Myles are being released at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFQ2EezD1GPVTH6hug3zu8w
- The Stay At Home Festival is a daily show combining comedy, science and music hosted by Josie Long and Robin Ince and featuring such guests as Jo Brand, Prof. Brian Cox, Stewart Lee and more. It’s online at www.cosmicshambles.com/stayathome
- Discover full European Opera productions including Don Giovanni and The Turn of the Screw streaming at www.operavision.eu
- Royal Opera House will be offering full performances online on their YouTube site www.youtube.com/royaloperahouse
- There are a number of productions from the Royal Shakespeare Company and Royal Opera House available for free on https://www.marquee.tv/ plus they’re offering a free 30 day trial for all their other content too!
- The Globe Theatre will be streaming a new play for free every fortnight at globeplayer.tv
- The National Theatre are adding full performances to their Youtube page for one week at a time, starting with One Man, Two Guvnors starring James Corden
- Andrew Lloyd Webber is offering full-length musicals featuring all-star casts online each week on his The Shows Must Go On Youtube channel.
- The West End Production of The Wind In The Willows is now available online for free at willowsmusical.com
- The Hampstead Theatre are releasing full productions of their acclaimed productions on their website weekly
- A Disney on Broadway 25th Anniversary Concert featuring big name performers including Whoopi Goldberg and Sierra Boggess will be streamed live at midnight on Saturday 18th April and will be available to watch here
- A special concert celebrating Stephen Sonheim's 90th birthday was streamed live on Sunday 26th April and is available to watch here featuring performances from stars such as Meryl Streep, Lea Salonga, Ben Platt, Jake Gyllenhaal, Josh Groban and more, all recorded from home.
- Experience glorious Glyndebourne Opera for free from your living room with Glyndebourne Open House. Every Sunday from 24th May, they'll be making a different production available for 7 days starting with Mozart's The Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni and Cosi Fan Tutte. Find more info here.
Stars of the Palace Stage Online
Some of the regulars to our stage are going online to entertain the nation for free at home.
- Theatre of Widdershins, last here in February with Rumpelstiltskin, are offering free online storytelling every weekday at 4pm on their Facebook page
- Oddsocks, who were last here with A Midsummer Night's Dream last year, are streaming full performances every Friday night on their Youtube channel
- Rock For Heroes are posting performances and extra content for you to enjoy at home on their Facebook page