Car parking enforcement and fines

Image of a car parked on double yellow linesNewark and Sherwood District Council, in partnership with Nottinghamshire County Council and six other district councils in Nottinghamshire, took over responsibility for parking enforcement from the police on May 19, 2008.

Most of the parking restrictions can now be enforced by Civil Enforcement Officers (traffic wardens) working on behalf of the district councils. This includes the council’s pay and display car parks, single/double yellow lines, loading bays, disabled parking bays, taxi bays and bus stops.

If you receive a Penalty Charge Notice or parking ticket (PCN) and wish to challenge it you can write to the Central Processing Unit, PO BOX 10282, Sutton-In-Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17 0DX or challenge your PCN online.  If you require further clarification on how to challenge your PCN telephone 0845 520 1357 and select option 2, then option 1.

You can pay your PCN by telephone (credit/debit card payments only). The 24-hour automated payment line is 0845 5201357. Make sure you have your vehicle details and PCN number ready. Payments can also be made on-line. Follow links from on-line payments

Pay by post using the payment slip attached to the PCN to Central Processing Unit, PO BOX 10282, Nottingham NG17 0DX. Allow 2 working days for 1st Class post and 5 working days for 2nd class post.

Payment of parking fines can be made in person by cash only at:

  • Newark and Sherwood District Council, Kelham Hall, Kelham, Newark, Notts, NG23 5QX
  • Newark Town Hall, Market Place, Newark, Notts, NG24 1DU.
  • Hawtonville District Housing Office, Eton Avenue, Hawtonville, Newark, Notts, NG24 4JH
  • Ollerton District Housing Office, Sycamore Road, Ollerton, Newark, Notts
  • Markets and Car Parks Office, Newark Town Hall, Market Place, Newark, NG24 1EQ

If the penalty charge is not paid or challenged on or before the 28-day period as specified on the ticket, the council may serve a Notice to Owner (NtO) on the owner of the vehicle, requiring payment. The owner can then make representations to the Central Processing Unit and may appeal to an independent adjudicator if those representations are rejected. The NtO will contain instructions for doing this.

Further information about Civil Parking Enforcement (including PCNs and NtOs) is available on-line at or by contacting our Customer Services team.

  • 01636 650000

    Mon - Thurs 8:45am - 5:15pm
    Friday 8:45am - 4:45pm

    Comments and Suggestions

  • Get in touch:

    Newark and Sherwood District Council
    Kelham Hall
    NG23 5QX