Silver bin recycling collections

If you are unsure about what items can go in your silver bin, check out Nottinghamshire County Council's BIN SMART web pages or print off the Are you Bin Smart? - reminder for your fridge (PDF File, 322kb) and stick it on your fridge for a handy reference.

Around half of your waste should be eligible to go in the silver bin. Think before you bin!

Yes please No thanks
Paper - newspapers, envelopes,
magazines, catalogues, yellow
pages, directories, junk mail,
office paper
Paper towels - kitchen roll,
tissues, wet paper, photos
Cardboard - cereal boxes, egg
boxes, cardboard tubes, toilet
roll tubes, cardboard boxes, food
Drinks cartons - Tetrapak,
juice cartons
Food tins - drinks cans, empty
aerosol cans, steel cans, 
aluminium cans, pet food cans
Foil - foil trays, foil takeaways
trays, crisp packets, pet
food pouches

Plastic bottles and yoghurt pots -
drinks bottle, cleaning product
bottles, bleach bottles, shampoo
bottles, ketchup bottles, milk
bottles, yoghurt pots, margarine/
butter tubs

Plastic food trays and wrapping -
plastic bags, carrier bags, food
trays, meat trays, fruit punnets,
bottle tops/lids, cling film,

Glass cannot be placed in your silver bin but you can take it to one of our bottle bank sites. Find your nearest site: Bottle banks and recycling sites (PDF File, 269kb)

Please take care not to contaminate your bin. Contamination is when the wrong thing goes in the wrong bin. Even if just one wheeled bin contains the wrong thing, the whole load collected on that round could be rejected and sent to landfill. This wastes the effort of residents and costs additional amounts to the council.

If you have any cardboard packaging that's too large for your silver bin, and you are unable to break it down so that it fits within the bin, leave it securely at the side of your silver bin and we will pick it up with your normal collection.

Use our online calendar to check when your bin will be collected.

  • Present your bin by 6am to ensure it is emptied
  • Ensure the bin is safely accessible from the edge of your property and does not cause an obstruction
  • Take your bin back in promptly
  • If needed we can help you move your bin. Contact us to arrange assistance
  • If we miss your collection, contact us as soon as possible.
  • Mark your bin with your name and address.
  • If you live in a household of 6 or more you may be entitled to a larger bin. Contact us for more information

My bin has gone missing - what should I do?

If you need a replacement bin contact the council’s customer services team. The council can make a discretionary charge for missing or damaged bins.

Garden waste collections

Our partners at Mansfield District Council and Rushcliffe Borough Council provide garden waste collections within the district. We are also seeking interest from residents in Newark and Balderton for a new service.

Water butts

Why not complement your compost bin with a water butt? Fitting a water butt to your roof drainage is a good way of collecting water for use in your garden, or even to top up the fish pond, saving you money, especially if you are on a water meter.

The National Home Composting Framework also has water butts available at a reduced price. They can be ordered online or by calling the order line on 0844 571 4444.

Contact us

Waste management
Newark and Sherwood District Council
Brunel Drive
NG24 2EG.

01636 650000

Follow on Twitter  Join in on Facebook


  • 01636 650000

    Mon - Thurs 8:45am - 5:15pm
    Friday 8:45am - 4:45pm

    Comments and Suggestions

  • Get in touch:

    Newark and Sherwood District Council
    Kelham Hall
    NG23 5QX