Dangerous wild animals

If you wish to keep a dangerous wild animal you must to hold a licence from the Council. Check the dangerous animals list (PDF File, 48kb) to see which animals you need to hold a licence to keep.

This licence does not apply to any animal kept in a zoo, circus, pet shop, or registered scientific establishment, which have their own legislation and licensing.

Applying for a licence to keep a wild animal

Please complete and return the dangerous wild animals licence application form [69kb] to Environmental Health, Newark and Sherwood District Council, Castle House, Great North Road, Newark, Notts, NG24 1BY.

We’re no longer able to accept payment for services by cash or cheque but you can pay online. Please make a note of your recipe number on your application form.

Once we have the application, we’ll arrange a visit from a vet and a council officer. We may also contact neighbours for their views.

Licences are issued when we’re satisfied that:

  • it would not be contrary to public interest on the grounds of safety or nuisance
  • the applicant is a suitable person
  • the animal’s accommodation is adequate, secure and safeguards the welfare of the animal

For further advice or to check if you need a licence, please contact us.

Read DEFRA’s Code of Practice for the welfare of privately kept non-human primates.