Discretionary Housing Payment

You may be able to claim a discretionary housing payment (DHP) if you receive housing benefit but are having difficulty paying the rest of your rent.

You can also claim a DHP if you’re receiving universal credit that includes the housing element.

A DHP can cover some, or the entire shortfall between housing benefit and your rent. DHP’s are considered to be short term help and are not usually awarded for more than a six month period.

Apply by downloading and completing an application form and returning it to us.

Discretionary housing payment application form for general applicants [257kb]

Discretionary housing payment form for Council and Housing Association tenants [492kb]

Discretionary housing payment application form for private tenants [275kb]

How do we decide whether to make a DHP?

The total amount of money that we have available to spend in these cases is limited. That means that financial constraints are a factor in our decision on any individual case.

The payments are discretionary and there are no formal appeal rights against a decision made by the local authority not to make a payment.