The Gambling Act 2005 gives the council, as licensing authority for Newark and Sherwood, a number of important regulatory functions in relation to gambling.
The main functions are to:
- Licence premises for gambling activities
- Issue provisional statements for premises
- Consider notices given for the temporary use of premises for gambling
- Grant permits for gaming and gaming machines in clubs and miners’ welfare institutes
- Regulate gaming and gaming machines in alcohol-licensed premises
- Grant permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines
- Grant permits for prize gaming
- Consider occasional use notices for betting at tracks
- Register small society lotteries
Under the Gambling Act 2005, the council must have a Statement of Gambling Policy (PDF File, 766kb) relating to the act. This was adopted in January 2019 and is the fourth edition since the Gambling Act came into force. The statement must be reviewed at least every three years.
Registers for licensed premises are kept in accordance with regulations.
A gambling register is also available at the council offices for public inspection.