The bustling general markets in Newark are extremely popular with both locals and visitors. Hot food and refreshments are available and the Saturday market, in particular, is a vibrant focus for this historic market town.
Regular stall holders include fruit and vegetables, cut flowers and garden plants, clothes, shoes and leather goods, bread and cakes, local fish and dairy goods, soft furnishings, bedding, carpets and rugs, fabrics, sewing and haberdashery, make-up, hair accessories and jewellery.
Markets are held on:
- Monday (except bank hols) - collectors / antique market
- Wednesday - general retail market
- Thursday - collectors / antique market
- Friday - general retail market
- Saturday - general retail market
Newark market is owned and managed by Newark Town Council
Dates for your diary, special markets in Newark 2019
- Saturday 4 May Farmers/eco market
- Sunday 26 May Artisan and Craft Food Market
- Saturday 1 June Farmers/eco market
- Saturday 15 June Newark Food and Drink Festival
- Sunday 23 June Newark Armed Forces Day
- Sunday 30 June Artisan and Craft Food Market
- Saturday 6 July Farmers/eco market
- Friday 12 July to Sunday 14 July Newark Book Festival
- Friday 19 July to Sunday 21 July Traditions Festival and Artisan Market
- Sunday 28 July Artisan and Craft Food Market
- Saturday 3 August Farmers/eco market
- Sunday 4 August European Juggling Convention – Bid Day Out!
- Saturday 7 September Farmers/eco market
- Sunday 29 September Artisan and Craft Food Market
- Sunday 24 November Christmas Lights Switch-on
- Saturday 8, 14, 15 and 23 December Christmas Markets
Newark Farmer's market
The best place to find excellent food is at a farmer’s market. This is where growers, bakers and all kinds of food and drink makers sell their produce direct to you.
And the good news is the NEW Newark Farmer’s Market takes place on the first Saturday of each month.
Visit the avenues outside the Town Hall between 9.30am and 3.30pm for the best seasonal produce that the region has to offer.
Products on offer will include locally sourced meats, sausages and bacons, award winning pastries and pies, renowned cheeses from Cropwell Bishop Creamery and Lincolnshire Poacher, delicious brownies and confectionary, international food, specialist coffees and chillies from Chilli Bob.
Southwell Country Market
There is a Country Market in Southwell each Saturday at 8.30am to 11.30am in the WI Hall. The indoor market sells local seasonal fruit, vegetables and plants, honey and homemade jams and chutney, cakes and bakes and crafts. Refreshments are available.
Newark Livestock Market
The market buildings on Great North Road, Newark, are owned by the council but the market is run by the Gascoines Group Ltd. Ranked as one of the UK’s top prime stock sales centres, Newark Livestock Market has firmly established itself as the midland’s premier auction.
The weekly Wednesday sale serves livestock producers and the wholesale meat trade drawn from over a 100-mile radius. As well as routine prime livestock trading, Newark Livestock Market holds various breeding stock sales, as well as specialist pedigree sales.
To contact the market call 01636 676741 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
With 16 stalls on Saturdays, there is lots of choice for all your weekly requirements.
Stalls currently offer fresh fish, fresh meat, deli foods, bread, biscuits, cakes, plants, pet food, greetings cards, cycle store, toiletries, jewellery, books, soft furnishings, sweets, cut flowers and of course, fruit and veg.
The stall holders are helpful and friendly and the atmosphere is lovely.
Southwell Market is owned and managed by Southwell Town Council.
Local independent shops and traders
Enjoy a vibrant selection of local independent shops in the pretty market towns of Newark and Southwell.