The bustling general markets in Newark are extremely popular with both locals and visitors. Hot food and refreshments are available and the Saturday market, in particular, is a vibrant focus for this historic market town.
Regular stall holders include fruit and vegetables, cut flowers and garden plants, clothes, shoes and leather goods, bread and cakes, local fish and dairy goods, soft furnishings, bedding, carpets and rugs, fabrics, sewing and haberdashery, make-up, hair accessories and jewellery.
Markets are held on:
- Monday (except bank hols) - collectors / antique market
- Wednesday - general retail market
- Thursday - collectors / antique market
- Friday - general retail market
- Saturday - general retail market
Newark market is owned by Newark Town Council.
Contact Newark Town Council.
Dates for your diary, events in the Market Place 2018
- Sunday 6 May - Civil War Muster
- Monday 7 May - Civil War Muster and Caribbean Cook Out (BBQ Festival)
- Weekend 27 and 28 May - Spring Craft and Artisan Fayre
- Saturday 16 June - Food and Drink Festival
- Sunday 24 June - Armed Forces Day and Monthly Sunday Craft Market
- Weekend 13 to 15 July - Newark Book Festival
- Weekend 20 to 22 July - Newark Traditions Festival
- Wednesday 8 August - Science for everyone!
- Sunday 25 Nov - Christmas Lights Switch-On with musical acts and fireworks
- Sunday 9 Dec - Newark Christmas Market and Winter Feast
PLUS: Craft and Artisan Market last Sunday in each month commencing March 2018
With a packed house of 16 stalls on Saturdays and a small but growing Thursday Market too, there is lots of choice for all your weekly requirements.
Stalls currently offer fresh fish, deli foods, cheeses, nuts, biscuits, cakes, plants, pet food, toiletries, shoes, handbags, books, lampshades, soft furnishings, haberdashery, sweets, cut flowers and of course, fruit and veg.
The stall holders are helpful and friendly and the atmosphere is lovely.
Southwell Market is owned and managed by Southwell Town Council.
The NEW Farmers Market Quarter in Newark takes place on the first Wednesday of each month in front of the Town Hall.
Here you will find an array of locally grown and freshly prepared foods and drink including vegetables and fruit, jams, meat, honey, flour, cakes, pies, dairy produce and home baked goods.
There is currently no farmers' market in Southwell.
Newark Livestock Market
The market buildings on Great North Road, Newark, are owned by the council but the market is run by the Gascoines Group Ltd. Ranked as one of the UK’s top prime stock sales centres, Newark Livestock Market has firmly established itself as the midland’s premier auction.
The weekly Wednesday sale serves livestock producers and the wholesale meat trade drawn from over a 100-mile radius. As well as routine prime livestock trading, Newark Livestock Market holds various breeding stock sales, as well as specialist pedigree sales.
To contact the market call 01636 676741 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Local suppliers and shops