Making your home warmer

Domestic heating currently accounts for 25% of UK energy use. We use so much energy for heating because many of our houses have little or no insulation, are draughty and lack basic energy efficiency technologies.

Cold, damp homes cause excess deaths in winter, particularly among the elderly. Living in a cold house greatly increases the risk of contracting a serious illness.

Cold homes can also have a significant impact on your health, particularly in winter. Find out more on keeping warm on our Winter Safety webpage.

If you are concerned about your energy costs and would like tailored and impartial information about how to improve the energy performance of your home, you can call a new government phoneline service on 0800 098 7950. This is open between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday and between 9am to 12pm on Saturdays. The phoneline service is in addition to the government’s energy advice website which provides recommendations based on your property details.

Ways of insulating and draught proofing your home

There are many easy and inexpensive ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home.

Installing better insulation is the most effective way to improve domestic energy efficiency and raise the standard of UK housing. As well as reducing the carbon emissions from domestic energy use, a better insulated home will save you money on bills.

Further information on insulating your home can be found on the Energy Saving Trust website.

Financial help for low income households

If you’re a Newark and Sherwood resident on a low income, we want to help you to heat your home at an affordable cost. We’re here to help you find a better quality of life by living in a warm and comfortable home.

We do this by:

  • advising on offers and grants available
  • working with other local councils in an Energy Partnership (LAEP)
  • seeking funding opportunities to support residents with the cost of installing energy efficiency measures

For more information and advice, contact our energy team on 01636 650 000 or send us an email on

Home Upgrade Grant (HUG)

The Home Upgrade Grant (HUG) is a Government funded programme which provides energy efficiency upgrades and low-carbon heating via local authority funding, to households across England.

The aim is to raise the energy efficiency of hard-to-heat homes, delivering a package of fully funded energy-saving upgrades covering free home insulation and/or free low-carbon heating measures. 

These measures make your home more comfortable and cheaper to heat, helping to lower your carbon emissions whilst reducing your heating bills in the long term.

What energy-saving upgrades could I receive?

The energy-saving upgrades available (often referred to as ‘measures’) range from Loft Insulation, Solid Wall Insulation, External Wall Insulation, Solar PV Panels and Air Source Heat Pumps. Please be aware that the measures vary in availability and will depend on what is suitable for your property.

Am I eligible?

You may be eligible if you:

  • have an annual household income below £36,000 (gross) or are in receipt of certain benefits
  • do not use mains gas as a form of heating
  • have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) between D and G

Please note that only households who meet the scheme criteria will be eligible for a grant and you may be asked for proof of income to ensure eligibility criteria is met. The energy-saving upgrades offered depend on availability.

How do I apply?

Contact Nottingham Energy Partnership (NEP) who are processing applications. You can apply online here or call them on 0115 947 2207 to register your interest.

Who are Nottingham Energy Partnership?

Nottingham Energy Partnership are working with local authorities and contractors to deliver Home Upgrade Grants to homes in Nottinghamshire and Nottingham City. For more information please visit their website. 

Warm Homes on Prescription

If you live in a low-income household where someone has cold-sensitive long-term health conditions, the Nottinghamshire Warm Homes on Prescription project may be able to help you keep your house warmer for less.

Free home insulation and air source heat pumps

A new energy efficiency scheme, Connected for Warmth, is offering two schemes to households nationwide. These offers are free for both property owners and landlords. Funding is available on a first come, first served basis.

Connected for Warmth is an awarding-winning programme, managed by AgilityEco in partnership with Affordable Warmth Solutions, and funded by National Grid.

To find out more visit the Connected for Warmth website or call 0800 995 6564 for insulation, or 0121 592 0162 for heat pumps.

Free cavity wall and loft insulation

If your Council Tax Band is A-D, then you could be eligible.

Connected Warmth Free Cavity Wall and Loft Insulation Scheme (PDF File, 1,754kb)

Free Air Source Heat Pumps 

This scheme is also available to households that don’t currently have a central heating system in any Council Tax Band, if your circumstances make you eligible.

Connected Warmth Free Air Source Heat Pumps Scheme (PDF File, 2,146kb)

Optimising your heating

The ‘Let’s Optimise your Heating’ scheme has been funded by Nottinghamshire County Council as part of their Cost of Living support programme.

The scheme aims to encourage households to lower the flow temperature of condensing combi boilers to approximately 60°C to optimise the efficiency of their boilers. This reduces gas consumption resulting in an average of 9% savings on gas bills, which equates to approximately £178 a year – helping to alleviate energy bills during the Cost of Living Crisis. 

The campaign is offering free home visits, where a member of the team visits homes, showing them how to optimise the boiler, make the change and answer any questions they might have. To be eligible for a home visit, households must have a condensing combi boiler and live within the Nottinghamshire County Council district.

Great British Insulation Scheme

You may be able to get free or cheaper insulation to reduce your home’s energy bills through the government's Great British Insulation Scheme.

You might get support if your home:

You can be a homeowner, landlord or tenant (either renting privately or from a housing association). If you’re a tenant, speak to your landlord before you apply. You’ll need their permission before any insulation can be installed.

To find out more or to apply, visit the government website.