Immigration property inspection
Anyone making an application to the UK Border agency for entry clearance into the UK, may be asked to obtain an independent assessment of the accommodation where they propose to live.
A property inspection, carried out by the Council, ensures that a property is safe, in a good state of repair and doesn't pose a health and safety risk. It will also assess whether the property would become overcrowded if any more people were to move in.
If the property meets the required standards then we will issue a confirmation letter which can be used as part of a visa application. The service costs £100.
For a successful property inspection, the property must:
- be safe, in a good state of repair and not pose a health and safety risk
- have adequate kitchen and bathroom facilities (shared facilities with another family is not acceptable)
- be owned or occupied exclusively by the sponsor or sponsor's family (the property is not suitable if it is shared with members of another family)
- if rented, must have a copy of a current gas safety certificate (your landlord should provide a copy to you every 12 months)
- have a sufficient number of rooms of adequate sizes (we will assess whether or not the property will become overcrowded if more people move in)
Applying for a property inspection
An inspection can be applied for by a sponsor on behalf of the person applying for access into the UK. Before applying for an inspection you should have the following information available:
- information about yourself (sponsor), including contact details
- details of the person(s) entering the UK including name, age, and relationship to the sponsor
- details of the property they intend to live in, including full address - if rented, details of the landlord and a copy of the current gas safety certificate
- payment information (we no longer accept cash payments)
Once the inspection has been undertaken, you should include the confirmation letter as part of the visa application to the UK Border Agency.
To arrange an inspection contact us by calling us on 01636 650000 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How long will it take?
Once we have received the application and payment we will contact you within five working days to arrange a date and time for the inspection.
Following the inspection, a confirmation letter will be sent to the sponsor within ten working days, stating:
- the name(s) of the person(s) seeking entry to the UK
- the address of the property inspected
- who owns, and who occupies the property
- how the property is occupied, and by whom
- whether the property provided a safe and healthy environment for a potential occupier or visitor at the time of our inspection
- whether the property would be statutorily overcrowded by the addition of the person seeking entry to the UK
- the name of the officer to contact for further information