Major emergencies do not happen very often but when they do the Council is ready to respond, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Emergencies that could affect Newark and Sherwood include:
What we do in emergencies
We plan for emergencies as one of the key partners in the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Local Resilience Forum (LRF). The LRF is led by Nottinghamshire Police, and brings together local agencies to plan and respond to emergencies in a co-ordinated way.
During emergencies we support the emergency services with their response by:
- arranging emergency accommodation should members of the public be evacuated from their homes
- co-ordinating services that we provide such as waste collection that are required as part of the emergency response
- providing information to the public
- providing advice and assistance to local businesses to help communities prepare for emergencies
How we prepare for emergencies
To prepare for possible emergencies within the District we:
- assess local risks in order to identify what we need to plan for
- write and review emergency plans
- train and exercise with other key local organisations such as Nottinghamshire Police to enhance the management of an emergency
- ensure we have plans in place to deliver important services to the public during an emergency
Run, Hide, Tell
Run, Hide, Tell is an information film providing advice on the steps to take to keep safe in the event of a firearms or weapons attack. Police and security agencies are working tirelessly to protect the public but it is also important that communities and individuals are aware of how to protect themselves if the need arises.
Who to call in a power cut?
In a power cut call 105 or, for a gas emergency, dial 0800 111999.
Red Cross Emergency App
You can download the Red Cross Emergency App onto a smart phone. This award-winning, free mobile app delivers real-time alerts, severe weather warnings and practical advice in an emergency.
The app sends you alerts if an emergency is about to affect your chosen area - and gives you advise on what to do. For example it will warn you about impending weather emergencies. It includes advice for both households and businesses.
The app has advice on getting ready for a host of common emergencies – such as floods, storms, car breakdowns and power cuts.