Premises Licence - alcohol and entertainment

‌Learn about the new accreditation scheme for clubs, pubs and bars: Best Bar None

Who needs a Premises Licence?

This licence is required for buildings or areas that provide:

  • The sale of alcohol
  • The supply of late night refreshments i.e. hot food or drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am (this will include mobile vans)
  • The provision of regulated entertainment - which includes the performance of a play, an exhibition of a film, an indoor sporting event, recorded music, live music, a boxing or wrestling entertainment, a performance of dance and the provision for making music or for dancing

How do I apply for a Premises Licence?

A premises licence application must be made to the licensing authority- the authority within whose area the premises is situated. If the premises is situated in Newark and Sherwood, then this council will process the application.

To make an application you must submit:

  • A completed application form
  • Plans of the premises
  • The correct fee
  • Identity and consent of Designated premises supervisor (if licence includes sale of alcohol). Copies of application to be sent to responsible authorities which will include police, fire service, environmental health and local planning
  • Operating schedule
  • Advertise the proposed use or variation on the premises in the prescribed form
  • Advertise the proposed use or variation in a newspaper circulating in the vicinity of the premises

Responsible Authorities and interested parties will be able to make representations against the proposed use or variation applied for. This means they can make valid objections against the application, giving reasons why they think it shouldn’t be allowed. The period in which representations can be made is 28 days from the day the council receives the application.

If there are no representations the licence will be granted on the 29th day. If there are any representations made, the application will go for a hearing before this council’s Licensing Committee/Panel for a decision within 20 working days after the initial representation period.

Current applications

We have received the following applications:

80 Main Street, Gunthorpe (PDF File, 388kb)

The Plough Inn Coddington (PDF File, 389kb)


Premise Licence Variations

If the holder of a premises licence wish to make changes to their licence they will need to first make an application to the Council’s Licensing Service. The typical changes requested include: extending hours; removing, adding or amending conditions; altering the layout plan attached to the licence. Usually these changes will require a full variation application unless the changes are considered minor in which case a minor variation application may be acceptable by the Council. If the proposed changes are substantial then an applicant may need to submit a new premises licence application.

We have received the following applications:

McDonalds Ollerton variation (PDF File, 388kb)

Review of Premises Licence

Any local resident or local business can ask the licensing authority to review a premises licence at any time, by completing and submitting an application form. A responsible authority such as the police, fire service or environmental health can also ask for a review of a licence where they believe that problems are undermining one of the licensing objectives. Local authorities must advertise the application and invite representations from responsible authorities and residents.

Current Applications:

We have received the following application:


 What happens at a review?

You are invited to attend a hearing at the council's offices before the Licensing Sub-Committee, which will consider the representations that made. The Licensing Authority can then modify any conditions of the licence, exclude a licensable activity, request the removal of the designated premises supervisor, suspend the licence for up to three months, or revoke (remove) the licence completely.

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Kelham Hall
NG23 5QX


01636 650000

Follow us on Twitter‌  Like us on Facebook‌  Follow us on Pinterest‌  Follow us on Instagram

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Thurs 8.30am to 5.15pm
    Friday 8.30am to 4.45pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Newark and Sherwood District Council
    Kelham Hall
    NG23 5QX

Access Extranet