Flooding across the district - Business Recovery and Community Recovery Grants now available, find out how to apply 

Posted on: Thursday, October 19, 2023

Apply now - grants available to households and businesses affected by flooding.

The UK Government Community Recovery and Business Recovery Grants are now available to homes and businesses that have been flooded.

If, as a result of Storm Babet, your household had flood water enter habitable areas of your property or was uninhabitable for 48 hours or more you may be eligible for:

  1. The Community Recovery Grant of £500 per household
  2. The Council Tax discount scheme which is a 100% discount on your Council Tax for at least 3 months.

There is a single simple form to apply for both the £500 Community Recovery Grant and Council Tax discount scheme here

Businesses can access Business Rates relief and the Government Business Recovery Grant through the application form on our website, here.

Moving towards recovery

We have updated our flood pages with information on how we can help over the next few weeks. This includes information on disposing of bulky items and useful contact information. Go to our Storm Babet Information page to find out more.

Financial support

If you’re facing any financial hardship and need advice you can contact your local Citizens’ Advice, there are drop in sessions in locations around Newark and Sherwood, to find your nearest location visit the citizens advice website, https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/sherwood-newark/

Government announces grants for residents and businesses affected by Storm Babet

The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities has written to the Local Authority Chief Executives in the areas worst affected by Storm Babet confirming the aid available through the Flood Recovery Framework.

What this means for our residents

If the floods have entered your home and your living areas have been affected, or if your home is deemed to be unliveable for a period of time, there will be a grant of £500 available. To apply please use the online form on our website.

What this means for our businesses

A Business Recovery Grant of £2,500 is being made available to small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) businesses that have been impacted by floods. 

Businesses can access these grants and business rates relief through our website by filling in the online application form

Tell us if your property has been affected by the recent floods

We know that many people affected by the recent floods will not have contacted us. So, to help us to understand the extent of the flooding, we are asking residents whose properties have been impacted by Storm Babet to complete a simple online questionnaire.

We will be using this information to help us to prepare for future floods and to inform any future response. Helping us to make sure we direct the help to those areas that need it most.

We will also be sharing our findings with Nottinghamshire County Council and Central Government, giving them accurate information and locations affected.

Please complete the form here.

Important information

Advice for planning for a flood, and dealing with the aftermath, is available on our Flood FAQs page.

People should check their flood risk, sign up for free flood warnings and keep up to date with the latest situation at https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-at-risk-of-flooding.

Travel information

Road closures here for A roads and here for Nottinghamshire roads
Nottingham City Transport service updates
Check before you travel using Net Tram's social media channels and website
Check before you travel using the Trentbarton Facebook and Twitter 
Check for CT4N service updates via their Twitter and website

Flooding from a watercourse, surface water or groundwater

Tel: 01253 502776

Flooding from a blocked highway drain

Contact the Nottinghamshire Highway Services Team 

Tel: 01253 502776

Flooding from a public foul sewer, surface water sewer or a water main

Contact: Severn Trent Water

Tel: 0800 783 4444

Flooding from a river, reservoir, or coastal water

Please contact the Environment Agency via:

The Environment Agency Flood line, call 0345 988 1188
The Environment Agency Incident Hotline, call 0800 80 70 60

If you are insured, please contact your insurer who should be able to arrange assistance. This will also help to alleviate other phone lines for people who cannot access such assistance. 

Please note that even though roads may seem fine in your immediate area, our teams will be travelling to you and if roads on the route are impassable or unsafe, they will not be able to do so. Thank you for your understanding.