A caravan site includes anywhere a caravan (including mobile or 'park' home) is situated and occupied for human habitation including on a permanent, touring or holiday basis.

Under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960, we are responsible for the issuing of licences to caravan sites to ensure proper health, safety and welfare standards are maintained.

Licence conditions may be imposed covering issues such as type of caravan, density, water supplies, sanitary provisions, caravan spacing, fire precautions and roadways. The licence will ensure that the fire risk is minimized, that there is access to the site for emergency services and the site facilities are appropriate to the nature and size of the site.

We respond to complaints about unsatisfactory caravans and caravan sites and we carry out regular programmed inspections of caravan sites to ensure they are complying with the site licence conditions. For any problems associated with harassment or unlawful evictions please contact our housing options service.

Applying for a caravan site licence

Conditions may be attached to a licence such a

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation
  • restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

Eligibility criteria

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. A licence can only be issued once valid planning permission has been granted. For further advice on planning issues or if you wish to change the use of land to a permanent caravan site, please contact the council’s Planning Services team.

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

Application evaluation process

Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by us.

Tacit consent

This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

You can apply for a licence or change a licence online through the Business Link website. If you don't have a Government Gateway account you will need to create one before you can proceed to the relevant form.

You can also apply online using the link on this page.

Failed applications

You are advised to take up any issue with us first. If you are refused a licence or changes to a licence, or we change the conditions of your licence, you can appeal to the magistrates' court within 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on Newark and Sherwood District Council.

If you are concerned about noise, pollution, etc. or have a complaint relating to licensed premises or suspect premises are operating without the required licence, please contact us.

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet