Flood FAQs

Flooding risk and responsibilities

When is flooding likely?

Flooding is usually a consequence of a long period of rain or heavy downpours. It can be made worse by many variables including neglected culverts, saturated ground and blocked drainage systems. It’s hard to predict when flooding will happen because of these variables.

Whilst flooding events are difficult to predict, there are services available that can help alert you to when flooding is possible and help shore up your property’s defences should flooding actually occur.

Am I at risk from flooding?

One in six properties in Newark and Sherwood is at risk of flooding. Check your flood risk.

What you should do during a flood?

There is a watercourse on my land. What are my responsibilities?

An ordinary watercourse is any natural or artificial channel that water flows through, such as a river, including where a river flows through a culvert, brook, beck, or mill stream.

Find out your responsibilities if you have a watercourse on your land in this County Council leaflet. We have also created a waterside living in Newark and Sherwood (PDF File, 247kb) leaflet with more information.

If you want to carry out work that affects the flow of water or flood risk from an ordinary watercourse you need to get permission from the County Council.

What to do after a flood

For more information including helpful contacts and travel guidance, please visit our flooding information hub. 

Roads during floods

Should I travel during flooding?

Nottinghamshire Police and Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service urge people not to drive through floodwater. You risk getting stuck and often road-side homes are flooded due to vehicles pushing water into people's properties.

The advice is to always follow flood warning signs and do not take risks by driving through floodwater. Pedestrian should not to enter flood water in case of hidden hazards such as lifted manhole covers.

How do I report a flooded road?

You can report flooded roads to Nottinghamshire County Council who are the highways authority for the district. If you think lives may be in danger you should call 999.

How do I report a vehicle that’s been abandoned due to flooding?

If the vehicle is causing an obstruction contact the Police by calling 101, however they may already be aware of the situation

How should I drive differently during flooding?

Motorists should follow the advice on the Nottinghamshire County Council page about driving during flooding.

Remember you could face a hefty fine if the police believe you were driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.

Is there anything I can do to prepare for flooding?

It’s a good idea to prepare an emergency car kit and keep it in your vehicle in case you get stuck in floods or other severe weather.

Things to include:

  • ice scraper and de-icer
  • snow shovel
  • a map in case you need to find your way around diversions
  • blanket and warm clothes
  • first aid kit
  • battery-operated torch and spare batteries, or a wind-up torch
  • battery-operated radio and spare batteries, or a wind-up radio
  • jump leads