Exchange homes

If you want to move to a different town or need more space it’s worth looking into swapping your council or housing association home with another tenant.

If you have an assured or secure tenancy, you can swap your home with another tenant with one of these types of tenancy.

This is your right to mutual exchange. Shelter defines clearly what a mutual exchange is and who qualifies.

How to swap

To swap you’ll need to register on the Homeswapper website. The site features over 200,000 homes from all over the country and 90% of users find a match within 24 hours.

Once you’ve found someone to swap with, you’ll both need to apply for permission from your landlords and complete a mutual exchange form. Contact us for a form to apply for permission if you are a Council tenant or if you have questions about swapping your home.

You cannot swap until you have permission in writing from us. We have six weeks to consider your application.

Reasons we could refuse your application

We can only refuse permission for a mutual exchange on certain legal grounds. For more information read the government legislation.