Repairs and maintenance

We have an experienced in-house team of professional engineers and tradespeople to undertake repairs on your Council home, but there are some jobs which we ask you to carry out.

Our repairs policy (PDF File, 698kb) sets out repair responsibilities, service priorities and the framework within which decisions regarding repairs are made. 

Emergency repairs

If you need an emergency repair (immediate danger to your safety, or that of your Council property) please call us immediately on 01636 650000 and pressing the option for repairs. If you smell gas please national gas emergency number on 0800 111 999.

More information, including examples of emergency repairs can be found on our report a repair webpage.

How to report a non-urgent repair

We have launched a new online system which makes it easier for you to report a non-urgent repair and book your own appointment.

You can report a repair here: report a non-urgent repair.

For more information on the new online system and what is a non-urgent repair please visit our how to report a repair webpage.

Repairs you're responsible for

There are some property maintenance jobs that you as the tenant are responsible for. Any repairs you complete, or ask someone else to complete on your behalf, must be carried out to a good standard. Certified engineers must be used for some repairs, for example, for gas, heating and electrical installations.

You're responsible for:

  • decorating the inside of your property as often as necessary to keep it in good order
  • keeping the property clean and tidy
  • regularly sweeping the chimneys (if you use solid fuels such as coal and wood)
  • testing smoke alarms
  • unblocking waste pipes and drain gullies
  • filling minor cracks in your plaster
  • replacing small fixtures and fittings, such as door numbers, toilet seats and bath/sink plugs
  • replacing lightbulbs, fuses and batteries
  • maintaining outdoor buildings, such as sheds or greenhouses
  • replacing or repairing anything you damage

It is also important to keep your home well ventilated. Find out more information on managing damp in our managing condensation and preventing mould leaflet (PDF File, 551kb)

If you’re having problems with a Worcester boiler, these videos might help you to solve your issue without the need for a call out:

How to thaw a frozen condensate pipe safely and prevent frozen pipes in the future

How to repressurise your heating system using your boiler's internal filling key

How to bleed a radiator

Repairs we’re responsible for

As the landlord, for Council homes we’re responsible for:

  • drains, gutters and outside pipes
  • the roof
  • outside doors (including door handles, locks and hinges), window sills, window catches, glazing putties, window frames, and glass (including any necessary outside painting and redecorating)
  • inside doors
  • installations for space and water, heating, sanitation and water, gas and electricity supplies
  • basins, sinks, baths, toilets, flushing systems and waste pipes
  • electric wiring, gas and water pipes
  • shared access areas such as halls, stairways, lifts and passageways

If you have caused the damage you may have to pay for the repair.

Improvements we’ll make to your Council home

Parts of your property are renewed on a regular basis including:

  • bathrooms
  • kitchens
  • central heating
  • roofs
  • wiring
  • windows
  • doors

We renew the different parts of your Council property based on expected lifespan and/or information received from a property inspection or survey we have conducted. We will normally write to you when we expect to start planning in any of these improvements.

Improving your home yourself (DIY)

If you’re thinking of making changes to your home you need to let us know first. Contact us with details of your plans and wait for written permission before you start any work.