Charitable collections

If you collect money or goods for a charity in Newark and Sherwood you probably need a licence. Licences apply to house to house collections as well as street collections.

House to house collections

A house to house collection is an appeal by a charity to the public by means of visits to people’s doors. This may include domestic properties and places of business.

Most collections are carried out by larger charities who leave envelopes with householders, returning on a set date to pick up the donation. Some charities request clothing or bric-a-brac to be left out in plastic sacks. These activities should also be licensed.

Collections that are carried out by going from pub to pub with collection tins require a licence and the permission of the landlord.

Apply online for a house to house collection licence.

There is no fee for house to house collection applications. We have 28 days from receipt of an application to reach a decision.

House to House collections are governed under the House to House Collections Act 1939 and House to House Collections Regulations 1947 (as amended). Some charities have Home Office Orders of Exemption made under Section 3, which allows them to carry out their collections throughout the country without the need to be issued with a local authority licence.

Street collections

You’ll need a street collection permit to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of any charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purpose in any street or public place.

Collectors should have sealed collecting tins stating which organisation they are collecting on behalf of and should not act in any such manner as to cause, or be likely to cause, danger, obstruction, inconvenience or annoyance to any person. Anyone aged under 16 years of age is not allowed to act as a collector.

You’ll need to submit a statement of return showing the amount of money received and the expenses incurred within one month of your collection.

Apply online for a street collection licence.

You’re restricted to a total of 19 collections per year in total in Newark. That could work out as one collection per month during January to April and October and November; two per month during May to September and three during December.

Collections in Southwell and Ollerton are each restricted to 12 per year in total - usually one per month.

When we receive your application, we’ll consult the relevant town or parish councils about which organisations are to be granted permits on which dates.

If you’re approached by a collector, they should have a copy of the permit issued by us. If you’re concerned as to the nature of the organisation collecting, please contact us as soon as possible. Collectors can be interviewed to confirm if they’re authorised or not.

Street collections are governed by section 5 of the Police, Factories, Etc (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916, as amended by Section 251, and Schedule 29 of the Local Government Act 1972.