Planning Constraints

When we are assessing any proposal for planning permission we have many constraints which we have to take into account. The constraints inform us about factors affecting the site and who might need to be notified about the application.

They may also mean that we need more information with your application to assess how the proposal will affect any constraints on the site. If you do not submit this information with your application, your application will not be validated.  Planning constraints include:

Conservation Areas - If your application site lies within a conservation area you will have to include details of the impact your proposal will have as part of a Design and Access Statement.

Listed Buildings - Any proposals to alter or extend these buildings are likely to need listed building consent as well as planning permission. You will also have to set out what impact the proposal will have on the listed building within your Design and Access Statement.

Tree Preservation Order (TPO) - You cannot do any works to these trees without applying for consent. If a proposal affects trees that are protected we will assess the impact of the proposal.  Trees within a conservation area are also protected.

Historic Parks and GardenThere are 4 registered historic parks and gardens within the district

  • Thurgarton Hundred Workhouse
  • Rufford Abbey Country Park
  • Thoresby Park
  • Newark Castle Gardens

If your planning proposal falls within or near one you will need to assess what impact your proposal will have on the park/garden and may have to include details of this within your Design and Access Statement.

Green Belt - The extent of the Green Belt boundary is shown on our Policies Map. Applications within Green Belts are carefully assessed to make sure that the open character of the green belt is not affected. If your proposal falls within the Green Belt you will need to assess what impact your proposal will have and may have to include details of this within your Design and Access Statement

Flood RiskThe Environment Agency have identified parts of the District as being at risk from flooding. If you are developing a property that lies within an area at risk from flooding you may be required to provide a Flood Risk Assessment with your application. Further information is available from Environment Agency.

Contaminated land - Sometimes land, particularly within built up areas, may have been contaminated by previous uses such as a petrol station or in association with coal mining. Our environmental health officers are able to help you if you think your land may be contaminated. We will also need a Contaminated Land Survey to be submitted with your application. 

Article 4 Directions - Permitted development rights are rights allowing certain types of development to be undertaken without the need for planning permission.  This direction can be placed on buildings or land (particularly in sensitive areas) and removes some or all of the building's or land's permitted development rights. For example, it can restrict the ability to remove existing windows or to erect fencing.

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY

01636 650000


Follow us on TwitterLike us on FacebookFollow us on Pinterest‌ Follow us on Instagram

Other websites

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet