Update on the political leadership at Newark and Sherwood District CouncilPosted on: Wednesday, May 24, 2023
At last night’s Annual Full Council Meeting, Councillor Paul Peacock was appointed as the Leader of Newark and Sherwood District Council.
Councillor Paul Peacock said: “I am really pleased to be representing the people of Newark and Sherwood and am looking forward to the positive changes we can make for them across the district.
“I feel the responsibility for our residents and this Council and I am fully committed; I will listen to and encourage everyone to contribute because I will be fair. It is an honour to serve this Council and it means a lot to me to work and represent our 121,000 residents as Leader of the District Council. I look forward to working with all members of the Council and am especially grateful for the support of the Independents for Newark, Liberal Democrats and Newark and Sherwood Independents.
“I have appointed an interim Cabinet to give us time to look at how we can grow the number of Portfolios within Cabinet to reflect our priorities.”
The interim Cabinet appointed during the Full Council meeting is as follows:
- Councillor Paul Peacock, Leader of Newark and Sherwood District Council and Portfolio Holder for Strategy, Performance and Finance
- Councillor Matthew Spoors, Deputy Leader of Newark and Sherwood District Council and Portfolio Holder for Economic Development and Visitors
- Councillor Claire Penny, Portfolio Holder for Organisational Development and Governance
- Councillor Lee Brazier, Portfolio Holder for Homes and Health
- Councillor Paul Taylor, Portfolio Holder for Cleaner, Safer, Greener
- Councillor Rhona Holloway, Leader of the Council’s largest opposition group, was offered a seat on Cabinet without a Portfolio
The allocation of seats on committees is available on our website: https://democracy.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=138.
Councillor Celia Brooks was appointed as the Chair of the District Council, and Councillor Jean Hall was appointed as Deputy Chair. They both will represent the District Council at civic events across Newark and Sherwood over the next year.