Data protection and privacy 

We are committed to protecting your personal data and privacy.

The personal information you provide to us will only be used to process the application you have made to us.

Do I need planning permission?

This depends on what you want to do. Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission.

You can find out if you need planning permission by completing our householder enquiry form. There is a charge of £60 for this service and covers the cost of an officer investigating the planning history and reviewing the submitted information. Unfortunately we are unable to process your enquiry until payment of the fee is received.

What is permitted development?

Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. These are called "permitted development rights".

Interactive house guide also provides a number of guides regarding common projects. You can also find out about what you need to consider at each stage of your project.  Further information is available at the Planning Portal.

Note: Permitted Development Rights withdrawn - You should also note that the local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. You will probably know if your property is affected, but as part of our ‘Do I require Planning Permission? Enquiry service, we will check if you are not sure.

Prior notification

New rules governing house extensions (and commercial changes of use) where introduced for a period of three years from 30 May 2013, this has subsequently been extended for a further three years until 30 May 2019.

For householders, these changes relate to the ability to build larger single-storey rear extensions with a length between 3m and 6m (attached houses) or 4m and 8m (detached houses). These new larger extensions must go through a "prior notification" process (through us) which is subject to a neighbour consultation scheme. 

Forms for both householder and commercial prior notifications are available from the Planning Portal.

The dimensions specified above are measured as a projection from the rear wall of the original house.

Lawful development certificates

If you want to be certain that the existing use of a building is lawful for planning purposes or that your proposal does not require planning permission you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. This is not the same as planning permission but it is proof that your household building work is lawful, it is a legally binding document and would be of use to you if you sell the property.

You can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate using the Planning Portal. You will have to pay a fee.

Important information

It is your responsibility to seek planning permission. If required, planning permission and building regulation approval should be granted before work begins.

If you build something without planning permission that needs it, you may be forced to put things right later. You may even have to remove an unauthorised building.

You can pay the fee here. (Exemption Forms 1 or 2)

Contact us

Newark and Sherwood District Council
Castle House
Great North Road
NG24 1BY

01636 650000


Follow us on TwitterLike us on FacebookFollow us on Pinterest‌ Follow us on Instagram

  • 01636 650000

    Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm

    Customer Feedback

  • Get in touch:

    Castle House
    Great North Road
    NG24 1BY

Access Extranet