Flooding financial support

If your home or business has been affected by flooding, there is usually financial help available from a number of sources both locally and nationally.

We also strongly recommend also making sure you have suitable insurance.

Eligibility for grants will normally cover primary residences where, as a result of the relevant weather event flood water:

  • entered the habitable areas of the residence; or
  • did not enter into the habitable areas, but the local authority regards that the residence was otherwise considered unliveable for any period of time - this might include access to upper floor flats, key services such as sewage or electric being affected or where damage has meant residents are advised to vacate the property.

Second homes and empty homes will not typically be eligible.

For more information contact us.

Flooding insurance

Make sure you have home insurance in place to cover both your building (unless rented) and contents. Tip on insurance for flooding can be found on the Association of British Insurers (ABI) website.

All insurance companies operate an emergency 24-hour telephone helpline, which you should call as soon as you can.  A list of helplines of the major insurance companies is available on the web site of the Association of British Insurers.

Insurance companies should arrange builders and other repair work and help arrange emergency accommodation and other support. It is vital that you consult your insurance company before making repairs to your property. It will be very useful to them if you can take photographs of all parts of the building that are damaged.

Flood Re

Flood Re is a national scheme helping people who live in flood risk areas to get reasonably priced home insurance.

It’s not an insurer itself, but works behind the scenes with individual insurers to make sure insurance is available and affordable, even for the most at-risk properties.

Council tax and business rate relief

Some households may also eligible for council tax relief and businesses significantly affected with internal flooding will normally be eligible for business rates relief.

There is typically a minimum of three months of 100% relief from business rates, or longer if you are unable to resume trading from your property. The relief provided will be subject to state aid limits, and will only be available to properties with a rateable value less than £10m.